Sunday, June 3, 2012

Conflict Resolution Strategies

In the past, I have had countless problems with co-workers who weren't able or didn't want to carry their workload. I am not the type of person who prefers to work in groups because I tend to be the one doing all of the work anyway so I just prefer working alone. I was in a situation where I had to team teach. I was under the impression that team teaching required two people who worked as a team. I was wrong. The lady stayed on her phone the whole time; she never wanted to teach; she never made any copies nor did she want to take the students to their bathroom breaks or to lunch when it was time. I kept getting mad at first but then I tried to put myself in her shoes and I decided to change my tone. Some of the conflict resolution strategies that I have learned are as follows: 1. Listen to the person as they are talking so that you can try to understand their point of view. You might not agree with their view points, but we can always listen. 2. Attack the problem or the conflict and not the person. I found this to be beneficial because I have a tendency of talking about the person and not the problem which causes more of a conflict. 3. When the confrontation is over, don't dwell on it. Move past it. It is counterproductive to keep dwelling on a problem once it has been resolved because you could quite possibly open past wounds. Although I am not an expert on this topic, I have tried these strategies and they have worked for me. They have worked for that particular co-worker as well because now we are able to get along and get the job done.

4 comments:

  1. Liz,
    I appreciate your strategies I have practice these strategies in conflicts before and they work. I found that when you attack the problem and not the person then you still have the respect of that person. And the relationship is not ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    I was also in a team teaching situation years ago that did not go well. I ended up becoming frustrated with her personally, when in fact, I was just frustrated with her teaching style. I wish I knew some of these strategies then. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful that the strategies worked for you. I am not currently in a working environment but I do remember having conflicts such as teamwork, it is tough and hard to bring up or ask for them to pick up the slack. I too will have to utilize these strategies. Thanks for letting me know it works! ;o) Thank you also for sharing and I am glad things are better for you in that situation.

      Delete
  3. If you don't realize what the other person is doing it can affect the outcome. One person's method of teaching doesn't always work with the other. I think using the different conflict resolution strategies will help you in many of those situations.

    ReplyDelete