Sunday, June 10, 2012

Five Stages Of Team Development

Are high-performing groups hardest to leave? I don't think that high-performing groups are the highest to leave because it doesn't necessarily matter the rating of the group's performance because the close relationship that one feels when working along side of people can't be measured. Even in a low performing group, there are people within these groups who might not bring much in the area of job performance but they bring a lot to the table in other areas such as mediation between group members, an open-mindedness, a willingness to work, and a level of respect for group members. Which of the groups that you participated in was hardest to leave? The groups that I have participated in that was the hardest to leave were the ones where the people were responsive to my needs, and allowed me a chance to express myself. In a group, in my opinion, there has to be a give and take of information and ideas presented, otherwise, group members will become a little discontented. Everyone wants to feel valued and they also want to feel as if what they have to say matters. What sorts of closing rituals have you experienced or wish you had experienced? Th rituals that I have participated in were ones that involved a potluck. Everyone would get together over a dish/meal and just interact with the people that they have worked with. There was once a time where we had an assembly where we got a chance to express or give well wishes to those that we were leaving. As far as class is concerned, we usually just choose a few class members to express our gratitude to and let them know how much we enjoyed working with them. How do you imagine that you will adjourn from the group of colleagues you have formed while working on your master’s degree in this program? I think that we will do what we normally do and just let them know how much we enjoyed working with them and why. Why is adjourning an essential stage of teamwork? Adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork because just as something begins, it also has to end. Adjourning allows each individual to evaluate the effectiveness of the group and group members. Within this stage, the members can have a moment to reflect on what worked and what didn't work and what could be done differently the next time.

5 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    I liked your opening thought that it might not matter how the group's goals are measured, but how the relationship's are measured among the group. That's very true. In my experience the closer you are to the members of a group or team the more challenging the adjourning step is. When you mentioned that when a group meets a personal need of yours it becomes more difficult I thought that was interesting and also very true - as we build our needs and lives into a group we have to go elsewhere to fulfill that need when we adjourn and move on. In my life, I think that's why a relationship, like marriage, is where more needs are held because it is so strong and so personal and, hopefully for most, for the long haul.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have brought up some great points, the hardest groups to leave are the ones we feel our needs have been met, for me it is also those groups that have challenged me to become better at what I do, I might not like how it feels at first but once you learn something new about yourself you kind of feel indebted to the ones who helped you learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a potluck. I also like the idea of expressing to others appreciation. I do like quicker good-byes, however after this weeks readings, I realize that adjournment is an important phase we have to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I have to say that I have to agree with the others on adjournmaent being an important phase. However I do not like saying good bye. I guess you can say that I ahve attachment issues. I love working with people and I do not like saying good bye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth,
    Thank you for sharing all the experiences you've had in your role in early childhood and the great insights you've gained throughout the course. Your posts and discussions have provided me tremendous insights into my own role both in my position in an early childhood school as well as the local community.
    I wish you the best of luck as you continue throughout the program and continue to build on the gifts you have to share with the children and families you work with and will have the opportunity to work with in the future. I hope to reconvene as we continue to work toward achieving our goal of completing the ECE program!
    My Best - Caitlin

    ReplyDelete