Sunday, May 13, 2012

Television Show Activity

The show that I chose to watch was "House of Payne." This is a show that I don't normally watch because of the time which conflicts with the day to day running of my household and night time schedule. When I turned the sound off, the character (Curtis) seemed to be this type of guy who was always yelling and trying to exert his male domination or energy onto the people that he came in contact with. Basically, he waved his hand a lot, and he pointed his fingers at everyone as if to delegate the jobs or tasks within the household. His nonverbal cues suggested that those around him knew that when he pointed and waved those hands, that whatever he wanted them to do had to get done. When I turned the volume up and I was able to hear Curtis's voice, I realized that my assumptions had been wrong. Curtis does yell, but the yelling is actually humorous to those around him because they appear to be used to him doing this. Also, I found out that Curtis is one of those animated characters who uses his hands to express his feelings, whether it is to demonstrate happiness or sadness. Overall, after turning the volume up, I realized that Curtis's sense of humor and animated gestures were the basis of the show. My assumptions would have been correct had I been watching a show that I normally watch because I would have known what to expect and who to expect it from. I also would have had background knowledge of the characters involved. I think that this activity opened my eyes to a lot of things. For the most part, it is preparing me to be more objective within the classroom because there are a lot that is going on within the classroom that is based on my perceptions. Perceptions can be wrong which is why we should investigate the matter before going on what we perceive to be true.

3 comments:

  1. I had similar experience where some of my interpretations and assumptions about the non-verbal cues were wrong. I agree with you that one would have been more accurate with the predictions if the program watched was such that one was conversant with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I agree that assumptions would have been more accurate with a show we watch regularly. Many assumptions I made about the show I watched were right, but others were wrong. It really depends on the context and the people involved. This activity also opened my eyes to investigating instead of only sticking with perceptions. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment that perception is often false because we create assumptions that don't always include all the information available to create such conclusions, whether about a person or situation. We especially do a lot of assuming with our eyes, observing what we see without keying in on the other senses we should use, such as our ears. Even then I think it's very easy to filter verbal language coming in, particularly when there are distractions going on. As mentioned in this week's article, we often don't listen to someone speaking to us because we are thinking and planning ahead in our minds - what to say next, what was just said - and we don't actually listen. When you were watching this TV show and observing Curtis, did you get any indication of his personality or communication based on his attire in addition to his physical movements?

    ReplyDelete