Sunday, May 20, 2012

Communicating Among Different Groups of People

The question is whether or not I find myself communicating differently with different groups of people. For the most part, I do communicate differently with different groups. The truth of the matter is, I believe that everyone does. When with friends or people who have a few commonalities, the conversations are more relaxed. It is not tense and it doesn't feel as if you are walking on egg shells the whole time the conversation is going on. Not only that, there are certain topics that you can discuss with friends, relatives, or people that you have something in common with. People of different cultures or nationalities might not share in some of the things that you think is funny. There is also a chance that you might offend someone without even trying to. If I am dealing with my boss or co-workers, my whole attitude and personality is different because these are people whom I work with. As a teacher, I have to present myself in a more professional and dignified manner. When I am dealing with parents, it too, is a situation where professionalism is a must because after all, the parents expect us to exhibit the right type of behavior, have respect for them and their children and make the right decisions for all people involved. In order to be sure that no one is offended by your nonverbal cues or conversaitons, I would suggest using a few strategies such as respecting all parties involved (their opinions matter, keeping an open-mind when dealing with those that you come in contact with and last but not least, be sure that you do not have any preconceived notions about people before coming in contact with them.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I too am more relax with my friends more so than my co-workers. I think we all communicates differently according to people culture and their beliefs. I think that preconceived notions are so unfair to be judged by people before you know them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that we change our communication style based on the circumstance and the situation we are in. Sometimes we may feel bad for acting differently ways, but it is all part of communication and knowing appropriate behavior when a situation calls for it.

    ReplyDelete