Saturday, November 19, 2011

"India's Childhood Poverty"

The country that I was chose to read about was India. I didn't know much about the country therefore, I decided to take a look at the information and needless to say, I was surprised at what I found. The information found below is the information that I gathered from the article:

1. Almost half of all children (about 62 million) under the age of five are malnourished and 34% of newborns are underweight.
2. In India, there are children 16 years old and below who make up a portion of the workforce.
3. Females are seen as inferior to their male counterparts and the girl child spends majority of her day out in the workforce because education is not seen as something that is beneficial to the females in India.

These are the three things that really tugged at my heart strings because in the United States, education is one of those things that children and adults have access to but in other parts of the country, education is like a mirage. It is only a figment in the imagination of those who can't receive it. I have known about the caste system but did not know that it is still in operation. Just the idea that the workforce in India is comprised of children who aren't even old enough to have a job or a part-time job are working to support a family. In order to counteract this problem, organizations are making arrangements to reduce poverty and ensure that an education is well in the reach of a child who deserves it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the statistics of India is absolutely unbelievable. I as an American see children who live in poverty but we have to be grateful for the things that we have our American children are forced to go to school their children in India are amongst the workforce and their daughter are inferior and seen as second class citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member (blog follower)

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete