Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Insight on Malnutrition

Malnutrition and starvation are topics that many people do not want to discuss because of the seriousness of it and may be because of the guilt that some may feel that they are indirectly affecting those who are malnourished.  I can't say that I know the pains of being malnourished because I have never been placed within that situation but I am empathetic to the needs of those children who are malnourished.  Within my blog, I am going to add information about other countries and their bout with starvation but for right now, I would like to voice my opinion about the malnourished children that we see right here in the United States--in cities in which we live.  It hurts me to throw out food knowing that someone else can eat it.  Even now, I give my leftovers away to friends and people in the community who may be hungry.  Often times, our kids feed off of the things that they see us doing.  Being a teacher, I have seen children throw food in the trash while other children were asking for it.  I think that ,we as people, need to be more conscious of our actions and try to make better decisions when it comes to the feeding of people who actually need it.

2 comments:

  1. Very insightful information. I taught in an inner-city school in a very low income area. The school provided breakfast and lunch. This was the only food that some of the children ate all day. Around holiday breaks, some of the children would begin to stockpile the food. We started a program that delivered food to families who asked for it over the breaks. This was very rewarding and I enjoyed seeing the students over break. They were very appreciative. It is such a difficult topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from Robin Lemire

    I agree that setting an example for the children is a great start. With my work with exchange students from all over the world the children also learn so much about nutrition and malnutrition (depending on where the student is from). The children are always amazed that there is not the same food the love in every country. For example, I hosted a young lady from Pakistan a few years ago and she had never had a fresh strawberry only frozen ones once or twice. The children were amazed since fresh fruit of all kinds of varieties are offered each week both here and in their own homes.

    ReplyDelete