Sunday, June 26, 2011

Births in Rural Ethiopia

I read an article that detailed how the women in Ethiopia gave birth.  The information found is as follows:

"Most women in Ethiopia deliver at home.  Only 7% of Ethiopian women are assisted by a skilled birth attendant during childbirth and they have a 1 in 27 lifetime risk of dying in childbirth."  After reading this, it made me think about all of the complaining that we do in our everyday life and here we have women who can't even enjoy a moment that has been described as a special moment.

The article also went on to say the following:
"Many of them have obsteric fistula which is a hole that forms between a woman's rectum and vagina as a result of complicated or prolonged childbirth without appropriate obstetric care."

My experience with my sister was nothing compared to what these women have gone through.  For the most part, a clean facility was available to my sister and me.  Also, we had caring doctors.  I can not fathom the pain that these women must be experiencing or have experienced.  My heart goes out to them.

http://www.intrahealth.org

3 comments:

  1. I love what you posted about your personal birthing experince, I was young when my cousin gave birth so I can relate. I aslo found this post very informative. It made me hurt just reading it, and it made me thankful for all we have here!
    -Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you state a valid point in regards to how we view our own care and think that what we have is so sub standard but other people don't have access to the same things and really all of the options to care that we have. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that all this professionals that give birth should be appropriately educated. Because sometimes they just worried about bringing a baby alive. They don't worry about both of the humans they are taking care in the moment. That is why I think even is a single birth they should be more Doctors involve at the time of bringing a baby to this world specially when is all about a C-section...

    ReplyDelete