Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Malnutrition in Africa

I went to a website that contained interesting facts about the lack of food and nutrition in Africa.  Below are some of the facts found:

1. Over 20% of post birth maternal deaths in Africa are due to iron-deficiency anemia.
2. In sub-Saharan Africa, every third child is underweight while two out of five are stunted in growth.
3. In 2006, about 9.7 million children died before they reached their fifth birthday.
4. Africa and Asia are the two regions that also suffer from the highest rates of hunger and malnutrtion.

The article also stated that "Globally, over 2 billion people have fallen victim to malnutrition."

In my opinion, that is too much.  As Americans, I know that we have to start looking out for each other regardless of the color of our skin or other differences that we may have with each other.  I have no answers nor do I know where to begin as far as combating the problem but I do know for certain that doing nothing is not benefitting anyone at the present time.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, 2 billion people dying because of malnutrition is far too many. I researched immunizations in Asia, but I know there are issues with properly immunizing children in Africa too. I wonder if the lack of nutrition allow the children to be more susceptible to diseases. It seems like proper nutrition and health care are both needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting information. I do think that the lack of good nutrition affects so many aspects of their lives.

    ReplyDelete