Saturday, October 6, 2012

Week 5 Blog Activity

As an educator, we take on various areas of responsibility;there, it is imperative that our mindset and psychological well-being are not in shambles. In my personal life, I have had to deal with a few bouts of racism. It hasn't hindered me to the point where it has caused me to be biased towards people of different races. I try to interact with everybody regardless of their nationality. I will admit that although I haven't been affected by my experience with racism, I do recognize that it could have caused problems with my job. My job requires me to be objective, but if I allow racism to consume me, then I can't honestly say that I could be objective in the classroom. Racism may cause a teacher (anyone) to mistreat children of different races. Many of the racist people in society have been brainwashed into thinking that some people aren't deserving of respect but the reality is everyone deserves respect. It doesn't matter what color or nationality they are. I also believe that emotionally, I wouldn't be able to connect with my students on a personal level. This would be a problem because we have to get to know our students in order to be able to teach them.

2 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful quality, that is not to let anyone else's racist views effect how you feel towards others. I agree, we have to get to know our students personally and without bias. It is important not to bring in any personal bias towards any of our students. If we were treated poorly by someone, we cannot take it out on our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for not allowing it to bother you to the point it will interfere with your job. I can understand how it could however. Thank you for sharing and for your honestly.

    ReplyDelete