Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Chosen Researchable Topics"

I chose option 2 and the topic that I chose to research was Asperger Syndrome. I chose to this topic because my cousin was diagnose with the condition and what I found out was the fact that it was a social disorder. My cousin is not able to function socially and that created a problem in the classroom because he is surrounded by people. At one point, they took him out of the general classroom setting but I have been told recently that he is back in. He has had people to coax him into trying to talk but any progress is minimal if any. I think that if we, as educators, were trained on how to interact with students such as these, we would be better equipped in handling them. More research would make assessing students who are this way easier and it would help the teachers and the students know what to expect.

3 comments:

  1. First thank you for sharing such a personal part of your life. Social disorders are so hard for all parties involved. As a family member or a parent of a child who suffers from Asperger Syndrome has be very trying and difficult but, also, the child has such difficulties. Imagine always being forced to do things you are just not comfortable with, and perhaps not even understanding the reasoning behind it. I completely agree it would be very beneficial if teachers were taught and educated on how to deal and help the children and families deal.
    Thank you,
    Schlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! I personally hope to look more into finding out how to better handle these type of situations and to better help these children with various disorders. This does interest me as well and I hope to make some headway in finding out more information. (I will be sure to pass what I find along to you) Thank you for sharing your story. Is there a school nearby for your cousin that specializes in Aspergers, or any other behavioral or social disorders that would be a better environment for both your cousin and the professionals involved?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is why in my opinion research on various disorders is so very important for the success of individuals diagnosed with this and other disorders.
    ensuring educators are knowledgeable in diferent types of disorders would greatly held students and their families.

    ReplyDelete